Advising for International Graduate Students | Webster University

Advising for International Graduate Students

Welcome to Webster! Upon acceptance to most university graduate programs, students should schedule an appointment with their academic advisor to discuss academic plans and to get registered. Students are encouraged to maintain consistent contact with their academic advisor throughout their academic career, though you maintain responsibility for keeping apprised of current graduation requirements for your chosen program.

Academic advisors meet with students in person or virtually. To schedule an appointment, call (314) 968-6972 or (800) 982-3847. Advisors are available Monday-Friday, typically between 8:30am-4:30pm. If because of a time difference, you need an early morning or evening appointment, let us know and we will try to accommodate your request.

International Student Academic Advisor

International students on F-1 and J-1 visas who intend to enroll at the home campus in Webster Groves, Missouri, will be advised by an international student academic advisor who provides academic advising for most graduate degree programs at the home campus for international graduate students. Students in certain specialized programs will be assigned to a faculty advisor.

Initial advising appointments may be conducted via email, virtually, phone or in person. Students should schedule appointments in advance by contacting the Academic Advising Center at 314-968-6972 or 1-800-982-3847 or emailing

Return to Top

International Services

International Services provides information for prospective and current international students on a variety of topics. Current students can visit this link for information about annual vacation term, change in major or level, withdrawal or leave of absence, extension of program, to shorten program, or regarding a transfer from Webster University. Related forms can be found here.

Return to Top

Enrollment Requirements

International graduate students on F-1 and J-1 visas must be enrolled in 6 credit hours per 9 week term, to maintain full time status.

Return to Top

Getting Involved

The Multicultural Center and International Student Affairs (MCISA) is your go-to resource for getting involved at Webster University. There are many programs, volunteer opportunities, social engagements, professional and developmental opportunities available to enhance your Webster University experience. MCISA also coordinates your arrival and orientation.

Return to Top

Working in the United States

On-Campus Employment
Students on F-1 and J-1 visas are allowed to request permission to work on-campus for up to twenty (20) hours per week during enrollment sessions. For the current list of available on-campus employment opportunities, please visit the Career Planning and Development Center's Student Employment Page.

Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows students to work within their field of study for up to one year after their degree completion. OPT is work that is applied for and granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The student must apply for OPT before graduation to be eligible and maintain full time enrollment for a minimum of 9 months prior to graduation (or four consecutive academic terms). International Services recommends that students apply for OPT up to 120 days before graduation. If granted, the student is then allowed to work anywhere within the US for twelve (12) months full-time or twenty-four (24) months part-time. OPT is available only once per degree level. (ex. Associates Degree, Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree). OPT will not be granted for a second US Bachelor's or Master's degree.

The Career Planning and Development Center offers workshops for students interested in OPT. Please visit their events page for upcoming workshops.

Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows a student who has maintained F-1 status for at least nine (9) months (or four consecutive full time terms of enrollment) to work within his/her field of study during an approved internship for academic credit. In order to qualify for CPT, students must meet with an academic advisor and obtain a letter of recommendation, and register for one to six credits of internship, COOP, practicum, student teaching, etc. Students should consult the faculty in their school or college for specific eligibility requirements for internship-for-credit.

The Career Planning and Development Center offers workshops for students interested in CPT. Please visit their events page for upcoming workshops.

Return to Top