International Students | Webster University

Advising for International Undergraduate Students

Welcome to Webster! Undergraduate students are advised by faculty members in their major. Undeclared students will be assigned an academic advisor in the Academic Advising Center. Students enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL) coursework will be advised by the International Academic Advisor in the Academic Advising Center.


International Student Academic Advisor

For questions related to F-1 and J-1 visa status and enrollment requirements, international undergraduate students may consult with the Undergraduate International Academic Advisor in the Academic Advising Center, Nancy Haparimwi. Nancy may be reached by email at or by requesting an appointment in advance by calling the Advising Center at (314) 968-6972 or (800) 982-3847. Initial advising appointments may be conducted via email, virtually, phone or in person.

Return to Top

International Services

International Services provides information for prospective and current international students on a variety of topics. Current students can visit this link for information about annual vacation term, change in major or level, withdrawal or leave of absence, extension of program, to shorten program, or regarding a transfer from Webster University. Related forms can be found here.

Return to Top

Enrollment Requirements

International students on F-1 (student) and J-1 (exchange visitor) visas must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester. Students who receive Webster financial aid or scholarships must enroll in a minimum of 13 credit hours per semester. Students enrolled in a full program of English as a Second Language (ESL) classes may enroll in less than 12 credit hours as determined by their academic advisor and the ESL Coordinator. Undergraduate students are eligible to take a vacation from study each summer term.

Return to Top

Getting Involved

The Multicultural Center and International Student Affairs (MCISA) is your go-to resource for getting involved at Webster University. There are many programs, volunteer opportunities, social engagements, professional and developmental opportunities available to enhance your Webster University experience. MCISA also coordinates your arrival and orientation. There blog can be accessed here.

Return to Top

Working in the United States

On-Campus Employment
Students on F-1 and J-1 visas are allowed to request permission to work on-campus for up to twenty (20) hours per week during enrollment sessions. For the current list of available on-campus employment opportunities, please visit the Career Planning and Development Center's Student Employment Page.

Off-Campus Employment
International students cannot work off-campus without specific legal authorization.

Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows a student who has maintained F-1 status for at least nine (9) months (or four consecutive full time terms of enrollment) to work within his/her field of study during an approved internship for academic credit.  In order to qualify for CPT, students must meet with an academic advisor and obtain a letter of recommendation, and register for one to six credits of internship, COOP, practicum, student teaching, etc.  Students should consult the faculty in their school or college for specific eligibility requirements for internship-for-credit.

The Career Planning and Development Center offers workshops for students interested in CPT. Please visit their events page for upcoming workshops.

Optical Practical Training
Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows students to work within their field of study for up to one year after their degree completion. OPT is work that is applied for and granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The student must apply for OPT BEFORE graduation to be eligible by maintaining full time enrollment for a minimum of 9 months prior to graduation (or four consecutive academic terms). International Services recommends that students apply for OPT up to 120 days before graduation. If granted, the student is then allowed to work anywhere within the US for twelve (12) months full-time or twenty-four (24) months part-time. OPT is available only once per degree level. (ex. Associates Degree, Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree). OPT will not be granted for a second US Bachelor's or Master's degree.

The Career Planning and Development Center offers workshops for students interested in OPT. Please visit their events page for upcoming workshops.

Return to Top