Frequently Asked Questions | Webster University

Frequently Asked Questions



Are student employee wages subject to taxes?
Earnings from student employment are subject to federal and state taxes. Students need to complete their Federal and State tax withholding information in MyWebster under the Pay tab, Tax Withholding. Student employees are generally exempt from FICA withholding while school is in session, but this may not be the case during school breaks. Student employees can print their W-2 through MyWebster. Also, if a student completes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Federal Work-Study earnings should be listed as taxable income.

Are student employees required to take lunch breaks?
A student employee may, but is not required to timestamp out/in for his/her lunch if the lunch break does not exceed 30 minutes. The system has been programmed to deduct 30 minutes when the shift is 6 hours or more. Employees can be approved by their supervisor to work through their meal break under special circumstances.

Who makes adjustments and/or corrections to Timecards in MyWebster?
Adjustments and corrections to a student’s timecard (missing timestamps, transfer issues, etc.) can be made by the student’s primary supervisor in MyWebster at any time during the current pay period. If time or pay needs to be adjusted/corrected in a previous pay period a Student Employment Time Correction Form must be completed and submitted to the Payroll Department.

Who must approve a student employee’s timecard in MyWebster?
Your student employees must approve their timecard in MyWebster at the end of each pay period. Supervisors also need to review and approve their student employee's timecard at the end of each pay period in order for it to be processed. Only the ADP approving supervisor listed on the Student Employment Authorization Form is authorized to approve that student’s timecard in MyWebster.

What if a student employee's employment status has changed?
The student employee's supervisor is responsible for completing a Student Employment Change Form. The form is needed so that Student Employment can update ADP accordingly. A student will not be removed from a supervisor's queue unless Student Employment receives this form.

Who should approve a students’ timecards if their supervisor is going to be out of the office for an extended period (e.g., maternity leave, vacation, sick, conference, etc.)?
If the authorized supervisor is not able to approve a timecard, he/she must give another ADP supervisor temporary approval authority. A supervisor can submit a Student Employment Change Form to make this change.

When should timecards be approved?
Timecards must be approved by students and supervisors in MyWebster according to the Student Payroll Schedule. The normal day of submission is biweekly on Monday by 10 am Variances in the time and date of submission are noted on the schedule.

What if a student employee falsified time on their timecard?
Falsification of timecards may result in the student becoming ineligible to participate in the Student Employment Program and judicial action could be taken against the student. Please contact the Student Employment Coordinator to discuss Webster University's policy on this matter.

May a timesheet be faxed into the Payroll Office?
Time must be recorded, verified and approved through MyWebster. The only exception to this would be if a student has not been paid for time worked in a previous pay period. In this event, a Student Employment Time Correction Form should be completed and submitted to the Payroll office. The Student Employee Time Correction Forms may be faxed to 314-246-8237 or scanned and emailed to the Payroll Office,

How do students receive their paychecks?
Students have several options to receive their pay:

  1. Paper check - Students will no longer be able to pick up their paychecks from the business office. If they are receiving their pay by check it will be mailed to the address on record in their MyWebster Dashboard, Your Profile. It is critical that students keep this personal information is current.
  2. Student Account - Students can authorize a percentage of their pay (up to 100%) to be deposited directly to their Webster student account. This is done by the student through the MyWebster Pay tab, Deductions.
  3. Direct Deposit - Student employees can designate that their paycheck be deposited directly to a specific bank of their choice. Students need to complete the Direct Deposit information through the MyWebster Pay tab, Direct Deposit. At least the first paycheck after signing up for direct deposit will still be mailed to the home address listed in MyWebster, Your Profile.

A student can also split their pay, so money will go to both their bank and student account. A specified amount or percentage can be applied their student account with the remaining pay being directly deposited into their bank account. Students would set this up through the MyWebster Pay tab, Deductions and Direct Deposit. Additional resources can be found on the Payroll website.

How are student employment positions advertised?
Supervisors can post approved student employment positions directly to Handshake, the Webster University's online career management database. A detailed job description must be submitted to the Student Employment Coordinator before posting that position on Handshake. Once a job description is reviewed, given a wage classification, and approved you may post it in Handshake. Supervisors can also include any special application instructions in their job description.

Students interested in available positions will apply in Handshake.

How many employment positions can a student have?
Students can work up to three positions at a time. Students can be employed in both Federal Work-Study and Institutional positions.

Students must seek permission from their primary Federal Work-Study supervisor to hold additional Federal Work-Study positions. A Student Employment: Additional Federal Work-Study (FWS) Job Agreement Form must accompany your Student Employment Authorization Form for the new position.

How many hours can a student employee work?
Student employees may work up to a total of 20 hours per week (combination of all their student employment positions) while classes are in session. During academic breaks, student employees may work up to 37.5 hours per week provided their award covers this amount and they are registered for classes for the following term/semester.

Both domestic and international student employees will not receive approval to work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session.

What is the format for job descriptions?
Supervisors must submit a job description for each position in their department. Students will not be approved to work unless the position has been approved by the Student Employment Coordinator and received a Wage Level Classification. A job description template can be found here.

How do I know about a Federal Work-Study award?
Every student who applies for financial aid receives an award letter listing the programs and award amounts for which they are eligible. Students who are awarded Federal Work-Study will receive an award letter from the Financial Aid Office. If students are not sure whether they have Federal Work-Study, they may contact the Financial Aid Office at (314) 968-6992.

What forms need to be completed?
If a student employee has never worked on campus before, the following forms need to be completed before the student employee may begin working: Student Employment Authorization Form, I-9 with required copies of identification, and FERPA Agreement. These forms and further instructions are available on the Student Employment: For Supervisors website.

It is the responsibility of a supervisor to ensure proper completion of these forms. If you have questions about the forms, you may call the Student Employment Coordinator for clarification. If a student employee has worked on campus before, only the Student Employment Authorization Form needs to be completed. International students may need to submit additional forms.

What is the process for hiring an international student?
International students can contact Student Employment if they are interested in finding a position on campus. International students may need to submit additional paperwork for the hiring process such as a copy of their passport, visa (F-1 or J-1), I-20, DS-2019, I-94, and a Social Security Number. All international students will be required to complete information in the Payroll FNIS tax system. The Payroll Department will contact international students with detailed instructions on how to complete their tax information online.

What if an international student doesn’t have a Social Security number?
All international students must apply for a U.S. Social Security number before employment can begin, and the application requires a letter documenting an offer of employment (a copy of the completed Student Employment Authorization Form can be used by an international student applying for a S.S. number). International students must have been offered a position before they apply for a Social Security number.

International students should visit the Office of Admission Welcome Center once they have secured on-campus employment. This office can assist international students with the Social Security Number application process. The Multicultural and International Student Affairs office can assist students with transportation to the local Social Security Office. International students interested in this option should complete the online request form found at

Keep in mind an international student must apply for a Social Security number before she/he can begin working. When the student’s social security card arrives in the mail, the student needs to provide Student Employment with a copy of the card. While international students may begin working after they provide proof of applying for a Social Security number, they will not receive pay until they receive the S.S. card. Supervisors will need to send a Student Employment Time Correction Form to Payroll with any hours worked in previous pay periods.

How do student employees receive a wage increase?
Students must be in a position for four months before they are eligible for a wage increase. Wage increases can be requested with a Student Employment Change form. It is recommended that the wage increase be accompanied by a Performance Evaluation. The Student Change form and the Performance Evaluation form are available on the Student Employment For Supervisors website.

How is Federal Work-Study awarded for current student employees?
Eligibility for Federal Work-Study, or any type of financial aid, must be re-evaluated each year. As a result, Federal Work-Study eligibility is not guaranteed each year as a student’s financial status may have changed over the course of the year. Additionally, Financial Aid is awarded on a first come, first served basis. Supervisors can help by encouraging their student employees to submit their FAFSA and Webster University financial aid forms as early as possible. Students can submit an appeal for an additional Federal Work-Study award through the Financial Aid Office. Students can contact the Financial Aid Office at (314) 968-6992 with any questions.