Frequently Asked Questions | Webster University

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of issues can be discussed in counseling?

There is no problem or concern too large or too small; issues range from difficulty concentrating to serious depression. Common concerns include:

  • adjusting to college life
  • test anxiety
  • drug/alcohol abuse
  • sexuality issues
  • eating disorders
  • depression
  • time management
  • international students adjusting to a new culture and language
  • balancing demands of school, home, dating and relationships, and work
  • family issues
  • roommate issues

Do I have to be crazy to go to counseling?

No, counseling offers an opportunity for people to regain balance in their life and to explore issues that are interfering with their ability to be successful. Many times clients seek out counseling services because they are dealing with an unfamiliar situation, a difficult transition, or want to make a change in their life and do not know how to go about it.

If I go to counseling does that mean that I am weak?

Counselors can provide emotional support during difficult and stressful periods of a person's life. We all face challenges that we are not necessarily equipped to handle. In counseling you may learn new skills and knowledge that help you deal more effectively with life's challenges. You may also take time to examine and change behavior patterns that no longer work well for you. The counselor can be an objective person that helps you make positive, healthy changes for yourself and your life.

Will the counselor fix all my problems?

No, the counselor does not fix your problems. Counseling requires emotional work, but it can have tremendous rewards. The counselor does not take responsibility for creating change or making decisions for you; that responsibility is yours. The counselor works with you to provide information and support and help you develop and grow personally. As a client you have specific responsibilities; such as keeping scheduled appointments or helping to establish and maintain mutually agreed upon goals.

How much does counseling cost?

Counseling services are absolutely free to all students, faculty and staff. Because we want to be of service to as many as possible, we try to limit the number of sessions to 15 per academic year, although we can make adjustments. Your counselor will assist you in the process of choosing another professional counselor off-campus if this seems necessary.

Can you help me find off-campus resources?

Absolutely! We provide referrals for services we do not offer. We also can provide referrals to counseling professionals in the St. Louis community if you are more comfortable using an outside service.

Can I get medication?

The Counseling/Life Development staff are not psychiatrists, and therefore cannot prescribe medications. We can, however, provide you with a referral to a psychiatrist off-campus if necessary.

How long does counseling take?

Each session lasts approximately 50 minutes. An initial session of thirty minutes is available for those who are just considering the possibility of counseling. The duration of counseling varies depending on the concerns you have. You may only need one session or several. You may want to come weekly, which is quite common, or you and your counselor may decide that a different schedule makes more sense. Together we consider your circumstances, issues, availability, etc., in making this decision. Although 15 is the allowed number of sessions per academic year, we can make adjustments to suit your needs.

Any other questions?

Please e-mail us:

Note: We want you to understand that we welcome your contact, however for several reasons e-mail is not the best way to provide services. Most importantly, we cannot guarantee confidentiality with e-mail communications.

Secondly, since we are not always in our offices during vacation time or weekends, we cannot guarantee a timely response. So, if you do have any urgent concerns or questions, please call our office at 968-7030. Or in case of emergency please call 968-6911, and public safety will contact one of our staff.