Parental FAQs | Webster University

FAQs for Study Abroad Parents

Why study abroad? 

  • The world is becoming more globalized every day.  Nearly every industry imaginable is impacted by global networks of some sort.  Employers see global experience as an advantage when reviewing resumes of potential employees—it is a way to be one step ahead of the crowd. Here are some notable U.S. Study Abroad and Peace Corps alumni.
  • It is a chance to see the world.  In most situations, students who study abroad not only stay in their host country, but they have opportunities to travel to neighboring countries and destinations as well. 
  • Gain a new perspective of your home country.  Margaret Mead, American anthropologist, once stated, “As the traveler who has once been from home is wiser than he who has never left his own doorstep, so a knowledge of one other culture should sharpen our ability to scrutinize more steadily, to appreciate more lovingly, our own.”
  • Make friends around the world!  Students will have the opportunity to live and take classes with other students from around the world, enabling the establishment of lifelong friendships. 

What are the costs?

Please visit the "Program Costs" for the campuses that your son or daughter are interested in attending. Here, you can find information about tuition, housing, and other program fees.

How can I send money to my son or daughter?

We suggest that your son or daughter maintains the same bank account abroad that he/she maintains in the U.S.  Debit cards will still work in ATMs abroad and can be used to obtain the local currency that way.  It might be easier to deposit money into your son or daughter's bank account, so that the funds will be available immediately.  Please check with your local bank about becoming authorized to sign on financial behalf of your son or daughter.  If using a debit card, check with your bank before departure as some debit cards must be activated for international use.  Your bank will also be able to tell you what international transaction fees would be.  We do not advise sending paper bills or U.S. checks through mail. 

Can my son or daughter meet other students from St. Louis going to the same international campus?

Yes, there are several opportunities for your son or daughter to meet other students going to the same campus during the same semester. 

  • We conduct pre-acceptance meetings, held in a group format, after students apply to study abroad.   
  • Also, we hold a mandatory, pre-departure orientation before students depart and break into smaller group sessions that are campus specific. 

What type of health insurance is provided while abroad?

Health insurance is automatically provided to each student participating in a study abroad program. This is purchased by using funds generated from the study abroad fee, so there is no additional cost to you. GeoBlue Insurance Services will provide accident and sickness coverage. Students will receive brochures and information at the pre-departure orientation. If you would like to get a quick glimpse now, please see our Member Guide.

All International Student Identity Cards issued in the U.S. include basic travel insurance that covers students on their  international travels. Students will receive their cards at Pre-Departure Orientation.

There are three levels of insurance:  Basic, Premium and Explorer.  All Study Abroad students will have Basic coverage, with the opportunity to upgrade if they so choose.  If students wish to upgrade, please contact the Office of Study Abroad to do so. Students can purchase the extended coverage at any time, but please make note that coverage is not retroactive

Why is there a charge for the World Traveler Award (free airfare) on my son or daughter's account?

This is normal.  The WWTP (Webster World Traveler Program) is considered a financial aid award.  At first, there will be a charge on your student's account for the cost of the airfare.  Before that bill is issued, the charge will be deducted by the financial aid office, resulting in a zero balance. 

Will my son or daughter need a visa to study abroad?

Study Abroad will provide students with basic information on how to acquire a student visa; however, it is the student's responsibility to secure their own visa before going overseas.

Visa regulations and procedures change quite often and vary upon consulate jurisdiction.  Students should contact the consulate themselves regarding any visa questions.

More information on the consulates can be found in the "Travel" section for each international campus location.

What is a power of attorney and when do I need it?

A power of attorney will allow you to legally act on financial matters on behalf of your son or daughter in their absence.  Anytime there is paperwork that needs to be signed, such as financial aid or scholarships needed depositing, you may sign the documents.  You may obtain a power of attorney application at office supply stores.  Once the application is filled out, you must have it notarized.  Webster University's Registrar's Office has a notary on staff or you can have your local bank notarize the application.