International Insurance & Prescriptions | Webster University

International Insurance & Prescriptions

GeoBlue Health Insurance

All study abroad students are provided basic accident and sickness coverage while abroad on a Webster study abroad program through GeoBlue Health Insurance. This coverage provides for all or some costs related to accident and sickness, medical evacuation, repatriation, and new prescriptions.

In addition, students enjoy a 24-hour medical assistance service and coverage throughout the world. To find information on how to file a claim, and to learn about resources and global health information, please visit GeoBlue Students website 

For specifics on the policy you will receive when you study abroad, please download the following information:

International Student Identity Card (ISIC)

All ISIC cards issued in the U.S. include basic travel insurance that covers students on their international travels. Students will receive their cards at Pre-Departure Orientation.

There are three levels of insurance:  Basic, Premium and Explorer. All Study Abroad students will have Basic coverage, with the opportunity to upgrade if they so choose.  If students wish to upgrade, please contact the Office of Study Abroad to do so. Students can purchase the extended coverage at any time, but please make note that coverage is not retroactive

Upgrades to the Premium plan are $65 and an extra $100 to go from Premium to Explore. Payment methods are cash, check or money order (made out to Webster University).

Here is more information about the plans and levels of coverage:

Prescription Medication

Many students who study abroad each year have prescription medication that they take along with them. It is critical to plan ahead for your medication needs BEFORE you leave the United States. Start by speaking with your doctor about any and all medications that you take regularly. Determine if you will be able to take an adequate supply of medication with you, or if you will need access to a pharmacy or prescription provider during your time abroad.

 Traveling Abroad with Prescriptions

Students should carry copies of all prescriptions, including their generic names. For controlled substances and injectable medications, travelers should carry a note from the prescribing physician or from the travel clinic on letterhead stationery. Exceptions are made for certain medical reasons; check the Transportation Security Administration for US outbound and inbound travel (toll-free at 855-787-2227 M–F 8 am to 11 pm or by clicking here) and the embassy or consulate of the destination country for their restrictions.

Certain medications commonly prescribed in the United States may not be available or legal in the host country. For example, Adderall is not available in the United Kingdom. Adderall and some other prescription medications may even be illegal in some countries (for example: Thailand, China, and some Western European countries), so students could face legal issues when simply traveling with their prescriptions, not knowing they are carrying illegal drugs. 

It is vital for students to research the availability and legality of their prescription medications before traveling, discuss with their health care providers whether some medications should be changed, and allow sufficient time to make adjustments before study abroad. If there is a question about these restrictions, particularly regarding controlled substances, travelers should contact the embassy or consulate of the destination country or GeoBlue at:

Please note: US laws prohibit the shipping or mailing prescription medications to individuals. Prescription medications may only be mailed by Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).